Ferroptosis is an iron-dependent, novel form of programmed cell death that is distinct from apoptosis, cell necrosis, and cell autophagy. Ferroptosis is characterized by an iron-dependent accumulation of lipid peroxidation to lethal levels. When cellular cysteine transport proteins are inhibited (e.g. Erastin), intracellular glutathione (GSH) is depleted, eventually leading to glutathione peroxidase (GPX4) inactivation and lipid peroxidation accumulation to a level that induces cell death. Inhibition of GPX4 enzymes (e.g. RSL3) can also lead directly to this effect. The susceptibility to iron death is closely linked to many biological processes, including amino acid, iron and polyunsaturated fatty acid metabolism, and the biosynthesis of glutathione, phospholipids, NADPH and coenzyme Q10. Ferroptosis is associated with pathological cell death associated with mammalian degenerative diseases (e.g., Alzheimer's disease, Huntington's chorea, and Parkinson's syndrome), tumors, stroke, cerebral hemorrhage, traumatic brain injury, local ischemia-reperfusion injury, and renal failure.
Based on liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry technology, Creative Proteomics can provide you with metabolite analysis in multiple biological processes such as iron ion metabolism, lipid peroxidation reactions and glutathione metabolism during the molecular regulation of iron death, accelerating the progress of your project research.
Role of iron, glutathione and lipid peroxidation in ferroptosis (Wan et al., 2019).
What we can offer
Untargeted Metabolomics Service:
- Metabolic profile analysis
- Screening for differential metabolites
- Metabolic pathway analysis of differential metabolites
- Discover new biomarkers
Fig 1. The workflow of untargeted metabolomics analysis
Targeted Metabolomics Service:
Detection of metabolites during iron death (ion metabolism, lipid peroxidation and glutathione metabolism).
- Mode: SRM / MRM
- Analysis content: Standard curve creation. Raw data preprocessing. Absolute quantification of metabolites.
Advantages of our metabolic services
- Low quantification limits down to pg level, and the ability to test multiple indicators at the same time, more cost-effective.
- Professional metabolomics service team with experience in testing tens of thousands of biological samples.
- Experimental procedure
- Parameters of liquid chromatography / gas chromatography and MS
- MS raw data files and MS data quality checks
- Bioinformatics analysis report
Turnaround time: 1-6 weeks
Creative Proteomics will work with you to customize a solution to meet the specific needs of any project. If you would like to test for other metabolites that are not found, you can contact us and one of our technicians will communicate with you.
- Wan, J., Ren, H., & Wang, J. (2019). Iron toxicity, lipid peroxidation and ferroptosis after intracerebral haemorrhage. Stroke and vascular neurology, 4(2).
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.