Terpenoids are a general term for a class of compounds with different numbers of isoprene units as the backbone. Terpenoids produce a variety of endogenous hormones and protect plants from the damage of strong light. The signal substances and allelochemicals in terpenoids play a key role in the plant defense system. Terpenoids have biological activities such as anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor and antibacterial activities. They are the effective ingredients of drugs and are widely used in the health care industry and the medical industry. Monoterpenes and sesquiterpenes often exist in higher plants in the form of volatile oils. Diterpenoids are commonly found in plants in the form of resins. Among them, diterpenoid gibberellin is a plant hormone that can regulate the height of plant growth. Triterpene compounds mainly include triterpene saponins, cucurbitacin, and limonoid. Tetraterpenoids mainly include lutein, lycopene, carotene, etc. Among them, carotene can be transformed into plant hormones such as abscisic acid and cytokinin. MS-based high-throughput substance detection and analysis technology MS instrument can be used in conjunction with gas chromatography (GC), which can effectively identify and determine the content of terpenoid medicinal plants to obtain a comprehensive functional analysis and disclosure of the biological activity of terpenoids Metabolic active molecules and mechanisms of terpenoids.
Figure 1. Biosynthesis of isopentenyl (IDP) and dimethylallyl diphosphate (DMADP) via the mevalonic acid (MVA) pathway and alternative MVA pathway (boxed) in the cytosol. (Bergman 2019).
Figure 2. Biosynthesis of IDP and DMADP via the MEP pathway in the plastid. (Bergman 2019).
Applications of Terpenoids Analysis
- Terpenoid analysis application
- Research on biological activity functions of plants such as antibacterial and anti-insect effects
- Study on the mechanism of anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor activities of terpenoids
- Reveal the metabolically active molecules and mechanisms of terpenoids
- Variety improvement of terpenoid plants
- Identification and content determination of terpenoid medicinal plants
- Quality and safety assessment of terpenoid products
Advantages of Our Terpenoids Analysis Service
Scientific quality testing methods and mature quality testing procedures to construct a terpenoid standard analysis library
Stable scientific research tools and professional scientific research team
Strict accordance with quality control and characterization
Provide comprehensive solutions and competitive prices to meet diverse testing needs
Fast turnaround time and flexible statistical analysis ensure extremely high sensitivity
In our operating technical process, sample processing does not require derivatization. After the sample is purified, the sample can be directly analyzed, which simplifies the operation process and shortens the analysis time. At the same time, the automatic sampling mode can greatly reduce human errors and ensure the results. Scientific accuracy.
Figure 3. Terpenoids analysis service workflow.
Detection method: external standard method or isotope-labeled internal standard method
Carrier gas: high purity helium
Flow rate: 1 ml/min
Retention reaction time: 1 min
Injection volume: 1 ul
- Construction of standard curve
- Mass spectrometry optimized detection
- Repeatability measurement analysis
- Linear range analysis
- Mass spectrum image and data collection
- Chromatographic peak analysis
- Quantitative analysis of terpenoids
- Quantitative analysis of terpenoid metabolites
1. Tissues such as leaves, roots, stems, flowers, fruit pulp, peel tissue, etc., larger leaves need to be quickly cut into pieces with scissors, and the separated samples are quickly washed with sterilized water, and the absorbent paper is immediately put into the liquid after absorbing the excess water. Quickly freeze in nitrogen for more than 2 minutes, and then transfer to -80°C for storage to avoid repeated freezing and thawing.
2. For each sample, take no less than 3 g for fresh samples, no less than 1 g for dry samples. At least three biological replicates in each group, prepare a backup. The measured sample will not be returned, please keep a backup.
List of Detectable Terpenoids at Creative Proteomics
※The project items are constantly being updated, not only those listed, please contact our staff via email to get more latest information and related information.
- Detailed experimental protocol
- Chromatographic purity check and separation qualitative analysis
- Analysis of optimized parameters of GC equipment
- Mass spectrum library search analysis report
- Identification and content analysis report of terpenoids and its metabolites
- Custom analysis report
The method based on the combined use of GC and MS can effectively identify, detect and determine the content of terpenoids and their metabolites, and can provide customers with high-quality and comprehensive terpenoid functional activity analysis and molecular mechanism research analysis reports. Creative Proteomics is dedicated to providing you with a screening strategy for optimizing lead compounds of plant terpenoids and new methods to clarify the complex biochemical pathways of existing candidate compounds.
- Bergman M E, Davis B, Phillips MA. Medically Useful Plant Terpenoids: Biosynthesis, Occurrence, and Mechanism of Action. Molecules. 2019;24(21):3961.
- Ali M, Hussain RM, et al. De novo transcriptome sequencing and metabolite profiling analyses reveal the complex metabolic genes involved in the terpenoid biosynthesis in Blue Anise Sage (Salvia guaranitica L.). DNA Research. 2018;25(6):597-617.
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.