Melatonin Analysis Service
Our melatonin (MT) profiling service allows you to detect and measure MT and its metabolites from single plant tissue samples. Whether you are working to improve crop productivity, uncover the biosynthesis, signaling and action of MT, Creative Proteomics can help you comprehensively understand MT involvement in a plant’s biological processes.
Recent years, there has been a growing attention and interest in studies on MT (N-acetyl-5-methoxy-tryptamine) in plants. MT is an indoleamine neurohormone that has been identified in more than 140 plant species in the past 20 years. Studies have shown that MT is implicated in almost all of the plant growth and development stages. Additionally, MT is reported to effectively protect plant tissues via responses to a variety of abiotic and biotic stresses, including drought, salt, cold, heat, and pathogen infection. Accurate and sensitive detection and quantification of endogenous MT enable us to better understand its physiological functions, biological synthesis, metabolic pathways, and regulatory networks. Ultra-performance liquid chromatography (UPLC) coupled with mass spectrometry (MS) has been proved as a reliable approach for analyzing MT content in plants because of its high sensitivity, reproducibility and accuracy.
Figure 1. MTsynthesis pathway (Arnao & Hernández‐Ruiz 2020).
Applications of MT Analysis
- Revealing the roles of MT in plant growth and development stages
- Elucidating the mechanisms of MT biosynthesis and metabolic pathways
- Understanding MT signal transduction and the regulatory networks
- Promoting the application of MT in sustainable agriculture
Advantages of Our MT Analysis Service
High recovery rates and effectiveness
Generating accurate, sensitive, reproducible data
High-resolution LC-MS platform using MRM acquisition mode
Flexibility to handle a variety of sample types
Decades of experience in plant hormone analysis
Fast turnaround time and comparable price
Creative Proteomics offers a highly sensitive and selective method for detecting and quantifying MT in plants using UPLC-MS/MS. We are experienced in dealing with a variety of sample types, and achieve high sensitivity and specificity due to reduced background noise, without homogeneity between samples.
Quantitation method: external standard method
- Raw data preprocessing
- Absolute quantitation of MT
- Differential metabolites screening
- Partial least squares-discriminant analysis (PLS-DA) and principle component analysis (PCA)
List of Detectable MT at Creative Proteomics
|Detectable MT||CAS||Quantitation Method|
|MT||73-31-4||External standard method|
Fresh plant tissues > 1 g. Please provide fresh plant tissues, if possible. Samples should be frozen in liquid nitrogen right after collection, and then transferred to -80°C for storage.
At least 3 biological replicates.
- Experimental procedure
- Parameters of UPLC-MS
- Extracted mitochondria and purified protein sample
- Purity analysis report
- MS raw data files and MS data quality checks
- MT quantification data
- Custom data analysis report
Creative Proteomics is specialized in offering a battery of plant hormone analysis services that are powered by state-of-the-art gas chromatography coupled to mass spectrometry (GC-MS/MS) or UPLC-MS/MS, contributing to elucidating the functions, biological synthesis, metabolism, and networks of phytohormones.
- Ye T, Hao Y H, Yu L, et al. A simple, rapid method for determination of melatonin in plant tissues by UPLC coupled with high resolution orbitrap mass spectrometry. Frontiers in plant science, 2017, 8: 64.
- Erland L A E, Chattopadhyay A, Jones A M P, et al. Melatonin in plants and plant culture systems: Variability, stability and efficient quantification. Frontiers in plant science, 2016, 7: 1721.
- Arnao M B, Hernández‐Ruiz J. Melatonin as a regulatory hub of plant hormone levels and action in stress situations. Plant Biology, 2020.
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.