Carotenoids are terpenoids composed of isoprene as a unit, a naturally occurring yellow, orange-red or red lipophilic molecule. Carotenoids are fat-soluble plant pigments with antioxidant properties found in a variety of vegetables including carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach, kale, collard greens, papaya, bell peppers, and tomatoes. Carotenoids are present in four forms: beta-carotene (β-carotene), alpha-carotene (α-carotene), gamma-carotene (γ-carotene), and beta-cryptophanes (β-cryptoxanthin). In plants, carotenoids are involved in photosynthesis and in the physiological regulation of a variety of adversities. Carotenoids also play an important role in human health. β-carotene, α-carotene, γ-carotene and β-cryptoxanthin all have high vitamin A pro-activity and are precursors for the synthesis of vitamin A in humans. They are effective in preventing night blindness, gastrointestinal disorders, measles and improving resistance.
Creative Proteomics has established an analytical tool based on ACQUITY UPLC/TripleQuad5500, which is capable of quantitative and qualitative analysis of multiple carotenoid substances including γ-carotene.
Structure of γ-carotene
Technical Workflow of Targeted Metabolomics of Gamma-Carotene
LC-MS/MS: Waters ACQUITY UPLC, MS-SCIEX QTRAP 4500/5500/6500
Features and Advantages
- Use the developed UPLC-MRM / MS method combined with isotope dilution and / or chemical derivatization techniques
- Highly specific, selective and reproducible detection
- Accurate quantification of γ-carotene
- Validate hypotheses proposed by non-targeted metabolomics or other omics
- Research metabolic models for γ-carotene
Sample Preparation Suggestions
|Sample type||Suggested sample quantity (per case)||Number of repetitions (recommended)|
|Plant tissue||≥ 1g||≥ 6|
|Animals and clinical tissues||≥ 200 mg||≥ 10|
|Serum, plasma||≥ 500 μl||≥ 6|
|Urine||≥ 200 μl||≥ 6|
|Stool, intestinal contents||≥ 200 mg||≥ 6|
|Cell||≥ 107||≥ 6|
|Microorganism||≥ 107 or ≥ 100 mg||≥ 6|
|Culture broth, fermentation broth||≥ 1 ml||≥ 6|
Samples are stored in liquid nitrogen or -80°C and shipped on dry ice.
Feedback to Customers
- A detailed technical report will be provided at the end of the entire project, including experimental procedures and instrument parameters.
- The report also includes quantitative results of targeted metabolites.
- Part of the mass spectrum picture
- Raw data
- A standard experimental procedure takes about 1 ~ 4 weeks.
Creative Proteomics has an integrated separation, detection, identification and quantification system, with excellent robustness and reproducibility, high sensitivity and ultra-sensitivity, and can provide fast and reliable targeted metabolomics services. Our one-stop service model can help you achieve a seamless connection between upstream and downstream experiments. Coupled with personalized analysis services, your analysis can reach the final research purpose. If you have any questions or specific requirements, please feel free to contact us.
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.